Monday, November 17, 2014

Curry curry curry curry rockin' everywhere.

Sunday nights at home working on projects are my favorite kind of night. My most recent Sunday night list included the following:

  • Work on illustrations for my novel (yep. I'm that girl).
  • Decorate my boring-ish dining room light fixture. (I say boring-ish because it's not, it's an interesting '40s-era pendant situation with five bulbs spread out like a chandelier. But it wasn't anything that a bunch of borrowed old chandelier crystals from my mom couldn't improve.)
  • Clean my apartment
  • Do laundry (this didn't happen).
  • Eat something comforting because it's way too friggin' cold outside, and make extra to bring to work.

My style of cooking is a lot like the show Chopped, except that instead of a carefully curated basket of licorice, beef tongue and stage fog that I then have to somehow magically transform into an artisanal cocktail, I just look in my fridge and frantically cook everything that is about to go bad if I don't. Last night this included half a jar of Aldi tomato sauce, the last of a tub of plain yoghurt, and a handful of cilantro.

I know what you're thinking: CURRY. (Obviously.)

So I throw a few things in a pan, and after about 20 minutes it looks a bit like this:



Stir it up and add rice for instant yum appeal.

I like food that's similar to my personality: cheap yet complex, and reasonably easy, but with just enough class. I think this fit the bill, except I ate it too fast to be totally sure. YUM.

-----

Cheap Fast 'n Sassy Curry (#vegetarianstyle)

2 T olive or coconut oil
1 c tomato sauce (the more leftover it is, the bigger your bragging rights when you make it tasty again)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, finely chopped (set aside a little for garnish if you want)

1-2 T each of cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, etc. (you can eyeball this, and don't be terribly afraid of overdoing it)
Dash of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, etc. (I buy a premixed batch of this from my local Arabic store, because Arabs know what's up.)

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 c plain yoghurt (plus more to top)
1-2 T butter (optional)
Handful each of chopped cilantro (save some for garnish), cashews and raisins
S&P to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions and garlic, stirring until just translucent. Add the tomato sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes or so. Add the spices and stir. (If you wanna get extra fancy you can toast them separately in a dry skillet to release the aromas. I am too lazy for this.)

Dump in the chickpeas and simmer for 10 more minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients, stir and allow to simmer for 5-30 minutes (depends on how patient you are).

Serve with rice and/or naan and top with extra yoghurt, cilantro and onions. Devour. (But save a little bit, because it's even better the next day.)


Here's to Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment